有無両縁塔

外国人墓地の手前、地蔵寺境内入口付近にある有無両縁塔。現在の函館市船見町周辺に多くの遊廓があったことはよく知られている。この塔は、遊廓で働いていていた身寄りのない遊女たちを供養するため元治元(1864年)年に建てられたものである。

有無両縁塔

有無両縁塔

有無両縁塔

有無両縁塔

この塔を建てた人すなわち施主人として廓内遊女屋経営者の名が刻まれている。

2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

有無両縁塔

この「有無両縁塔」は、元治元(1864) 年lこ、当時の遊廓の経営者たちが、引き取り手のない遊女などを供養するために、合同で建立した供養塔である。

かつて山ノ上町と呼ばれた界隈(現在の船見町周辺)には、多くの遊女屋があって賑わっていたが、箱館奉行が安政5(1868) 年lこ、その一画を山ノ上遊廓として公認してからは、整備も進んでいった。さらに、翌年の開港|こ伴い、日本各地の商人や外国人の往来が盛んになり、遊廓も一層の賑わいをみせるようになった。

この碑は、開港という新しい時代の陰に、遊廓で働き、ここで生涯を終えざるを得なかった女性たちがいた事実を残すもので、台石には建立者たちの名が刻まれている。

函館市

MONUMENT OF UMU RYOENTO

This monument called “Umu Ryoento” was erected in 1864 in repose of abandoned women who worked in the “red light” districts. Funds for this monument were donated by those who managed prostitute houses.

In days gone by in a town called Yamanoue-cho (a neighboring area, now named Funami-cho), there was a lively red-light district. After the Hakodate magistrate granted a license and named this area the Yamanoue prostitute quarters in 1868 (Ansei 5), those houses renewed their quarters for the promotion of business.

Moreover, Hakodate port’s opening to foreign trade in 1869, brought visitors from every land and these quarters did a thriving business.

This monument reminds us of the fact that in the shadows of the port opening’s new age there existed women who had no choice but to work and end their lives here as prostitutes. The names of the donators are engraved on the pedestal.

CITY OF HAKODATE

 


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示