プロテスタント墓地

函館湾を眼下にする丘上に位置している外国人墓地。今では函館の有名な観光スポットのひとつ。この場所は、早くから函館が開かれた港であったことを物語っている。

プロテスタント墓地

2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

外国人墓地(プロテスタント墓地)

誰いうとなくこの墓地を外国人墓地と呼んでいますが、必ずしも外国人ばかりでなくキリスト教徒である日本人の墓も混じっています。

しかし、当時函館で他界した外国人は、ほとんどこの墓地に埋葬されていることから、外国人墓地の名ができたのでしょう。

古くは、安政元年(1854)4月ペリーが艦隊を率いて来航したとき死亡した水兵ウオルフ(50才)、レミック(19才)の墓をはじめ、ドイツ代理領事ハーバー、デンマーク領事デュース、函館で倉庫業を営んでいたイギリス人スコットの墓など40基あります。

函館市

CEMETERY FOR FOREIGNERS

Almost all foreigners who died in Hakodate were buried in this CEMETERY.

Although some Christian Japanese Citizens were also entombed here.

When Admiral Matthew C. Perry, Commander of the American Fleet. entered Hakodate in April. 1854;two crewmen, Wolfe ( 50 years ) and Remick (19 years ) were buried here. Also included in the 40 graves are the Denmark Consul Duus, the German Vice-Consul Haber, and an Engllsh warehouse manager Scott.

City of Hakodate

プロテスタント墓地

海側から見上げた墓地。正面に地蔵寺、その後ろに函館山が並ぶ。函館中華山荘の横からは、外国人墓地を見上げるようにして見ることができる。

こちら側に設置されている函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

外国人墓地

山背泊といわれたこの地区は、開国後、函館寄港中に死亡した船員や在住外国人を葬る墓地として使われはじめました。

古くは安政元年(1854年)に没したアメリ力・ペリー艦隊の水兵や翌年にはイギリス艦隊の水兵の墓碑が置かれたほか、当時日本との国交はなかったものの多数の病人発生により急きょ入港したフランス艦隊の水兵がこの地で葬られたとの記録も残されています。

明治3年(1870年)には新たに力トリック墓地の設置について要望があり、開妬使は、改めて外国人専用の墓地として従来の英国(プロテスタント墓地)、ロシア(ロシア人墓地)に加え、フランスに力トリック墓地(現シャルトル聖パウ口修道女会墓地)を貸付け、明治9年(1876年)には、中国人墓地(現函館中華山荘)が加わり現在の外国人墓地が形づくられました。

函館市

CEMETERY FOR FOREIGNERS

This area, which used to be called Yamasedomari, was the original cemetery for sailors who died during their port call at Hakodate, and for foreign residents of Hakodate.

Gravestones for late sailors of Perry’s fleet and the first British fleet were placed here back in 1854 and 1855 respectively. In additlon, according to some records, French sailors who died of illness were buried here after the ship had to be rushed into port at Hakodate despite no diplomatlc relations with Japan at the time.

By the year 1870, Britain and Russia already had their own cemeteries here. Following a new demand for Catholic cemeteries, Hokkaido settlers decided to lend France a part of the area as a Catholic cemetery. It is currently a cemetery for the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres.

In 1876 the cemetery for Chinese people, now called the Chinese Graveyard, became part of the larger Foreign Cemetery.

City of Hakodate 


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示