函館の基礎を築いた堀川乗経、日本地震学創始者ジョン・ミルンとその妻トネ

堀川乗経、ジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻

堀川乗経、ジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻

函館発展の礎を築いた堀川乗経。日本地震学創始者ジョン・ミルン。ジョン・ミルンの妻で堀川乗経の長女トネ。並んで船見町(函館市船見町26番地)の墓地に眠っています。

ジョン・ミルン、明治11年の函館での発掘は、モース、ブラキストンと一緒に貝塚発掘をしたそうで、トネとの出会いもブラキストンの紹介らしいです。

函館市観光標識

堀川乗経

堀川乗経は、陸奥国(青森県)下北郡川内村の浄土真宗本願寺派願乗寺住職の次男で、初め法恵と称し、天保12年(1841年)に蝦夷地(北海道)に来て、その事情を見て歩きました。
蝦夷地に同派の寺がないことを知った法恵は、安政2年(1855年)本山の許可を得た後、同4年(1857年)に小樽に願乗寺出張所を、また箱館の地蔵町(現東川町)に願乗寺休泊所を創設しました。
これが現在の浄土真宗本願寺派函館別院です。
法恵は、安政6年(1859年)北陸地方の農民を清水郷(現上磯町)に入植開墾させました。また同年、水利の便が悪い箱館市中に掘割を開削して亀田川の水を引き、飲料水として給水しました。この掘割は全長2900m、橋を8箇所設け、工事費7300余両を費やした大事業で、願乗寺川あるいは堀川と呼ばれ、市街地が東部へ発展する要因となりました。なお、明治22年(1889年)上水道が完成したとき、掘割は埋め立てられました。

Jokyo Horikawa

Jokyo Horikawa, previously named Houkei, was the second son of a chief priest of Ganjoji Temple. Ganjoji Temple was a branch of Honganji Temple of the Jodo-shin sect at Kawauchimura in Mutsu (now Aomori Prefecture).
Houkei came to Ezo (now Hokkaido) in 1841 for the first time to study the religious situation in the district. Upon finding out that there weren’t any temples of the Honganji sub-sect in Ezo, he built a branch in Otaru after being given permission in 1857. He also built a place for people to rest and sleep at Jizou-cho (now Higashikawa-cho) in Hakodate. This place is now called Hakodate Betsuin (branch) of Honganji Temple of the Jodo-shin sect.
In 1859 Houkei let farmers in Hokuriku District settle in Shimizu-gou (now Kamiiso-cho) to cultivate new land. In the same year, he let them dig a canal, supplying drinking water from the Kameda River, and supplemented the insufficient water supply in Hakodate. The canal, called the Ganjoji River or the Horikawa River, was 2,900 meters long and was crossed with 8 bridges. It was a large-scale construction project, costing over 7,300 ryo, which resulted in the urban area expanding eastwards. When a new water supply system was completed in 1889, the canal was filled in.

ジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻

イギリス人ジョン・ミルンは、工部省の招きで明治9年(1876年)に来日し、工部大学校や東京帝国大学で鉱山学、地質学を教えました。また、日本の地震に興味をもち、地震計を考案して日本全国を観測し、明治13年(1880年)日本地震学会を創設するなど、わが国の地震学の創設者の一人であり、近代地震学のもとを築きました。
ミルンは、明治10年(1877年)に地質調査のために来函し、翌年も先住民族の貝塚などを調査するため函館を訪れています。明治14年(1881年)東京で堀川乗経の長女トネを知って結婚し、明治28年(1895年)トネを伴ってイギリスに帰国しました。大正2年(1913年)ミルンの死去後、トネは病身となり大正8年(1919年)函館に帰り、大正14年(1925年)世を去りました。
この墓地には、堀川乗経とジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻の墓があります。

 John and Tone Milne

In 1876 an English man named John Milne was invited to Japan by the Engineering Ministry to teach mining engineering and geology at Kobu University and Tokyo Teikoku University, Becoming interested in the study of earthquakes in Japan, he invented a seismometer and made seismological observations all over Japan. He is now known as one of the fornders of seismology in Japan, and helped establish the Seismological Society of Japan in 1880.
In 1877 he came to Hakodate to conduct geological research. The following year he returned to Hakodate to survey the shell mounds of an ancient indigenous settlement. In 1881 he married Tone, the eldest daughter of Jokyo Horikawa, in Tokyo and in 1895 he returned to England with her.
After his death in 1913, Tone’s health deteriorated and she returned to Hakodate, where she lived until she passed away in 1919.
The tombstones for Mr. and Mrs. Milne and Jokyo Horikawa are here in this graveyard.

参考

地図