南部藩陣屋跡

ロープウェイ基地から南部坂を下ると南部藩陣屋跡の碑がある。

南部藩陣屋跡

2008年9月15日撮影。

函館市設置の観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

南部藩陣屋跡
幕府が蝦夷地(北海道)を初めて直轄した時代(1799年〜1821年)、幕府の命により南部藩が蝦夷地を整備するための陣屋跡で、敷地は、当初16,200m2ほどであったが、19,800m2増して36,000m2以上となった。
建物は極めて粗末で、ここには相当な人数が勤務し越冬していたが、病人がたくさん出た。(文化4年には342人勤務、うち150人越冬)
後の幕領時代(1854年〜1867年)にもここを陣屋として再建し、約300人が勤務していた。
明治元年戊辰戦が東北に及び国元を守備する為、同年8月11日夜、イギリス人ブラキストンから雇入れた汽船に乗って箱館を引き揚げ、南部へ帰った。
この碑は昭和29年7月30日、岩手県南部会が建立した。
函館市
 
The remains of the garrison of the Nanbu Clan
These are the remains of the garrison where the Nanbu clan kept watch over Ezo (Hokkaido) Between 1799 and 1821, the Tokugawa Shogunate government had Ezo under their direct control. At first the Nanbu garrison covered 16,200 square meters and was later enlarged to more than 36,000 square meters.
In 1807, 342 men worked and stayed there throughout the cold season. Because the building was so poorly constructed and offered little protection, many became ill. Only 150 men survived through the winter. Between 1854 and 1867, the garrison was rebuilt and about 300 men served here. In 1868, fighting from the Boshin Civil War spread to the Tohoku area.
To guard their hometown, the Nanbu Clansmen left Hakodate on a ship bought from an Englishman, Thomas Blakiston, on August 11.
This monument was erected by the “Nanbukai” (Nanbu Clan Society) of Iwate Prefecture on July 30, 1954.
CITY OF HAKODATE