旧函館西警察署(沖之口番所跡)

2006年に撮影した旧函館西警察署。建物が解体される前に撮影したもの。2007年に函館市臨海研究所として改築され、用途を替えて活用されている。

現在海岸町にある西警察署庁舎は昭和59年に移築されたもの。

旧函館西警察署

2006年4月23日撮影。函館市設置の観光標識の内容は以下のとおり。

沖之口番所跡

江戸時代、松前藩は藩財政を支える施策の一つとして、福山(現松前)に船舶、積荷、旅人を検査して規定の税金を徴収する「沖之口番所」を創設した。その後江差と箱館(18世紀のはじめ頃)にも設けられ、文政4(1821)年沖之口役所と改められた。

明治2(1869)年に「海官所」、さらに翌年に「海関所」と改称された。同8年に北海道諸産物出港規則が制定され、出港税徴収が開始されると、「船改所」と改称され、その徴収業務を担当したが、同20年、出港税の廃止とともに船改所も閉鎖された。

なお、明治18年に船改所構内に函館水上警察署が置かれたが、船改所閉鎖後も存続し、大正15(1926)年に建てられた建物が現存している。(水上警察署は昭和27年に西警察署と改称し、昭和59年に新築移転した。)

函館市

OKINOKUCHI BANSHO REMAlNS

During the Edo period, the Matsumae clan established “Okinokuchi Bansho” at Fukuyama (now Matsumae) as one measure to support its finances. It appraised ships, freight and travellers and collected tax from them.

Its branch offices were also established in Esashi and Hakodate in the early 18th century. In 1821 “Okinokuchi Bansho” changed its name to “Okinokuchi Yakusho,” in 1869 to “Umi Kansho,” and a year later to “Umi Sekisho.” When the regulations concerning the export of Hokkaido products were enacted and the collection of clearance tax was implemented in 1875, “Umi Sekisho” was renamed “Funa Aratamesho.” It was then closed down when the clearance tax was abolished in 1887.

In 1885 the Hakodate Maritime Police Station was located in the “Funa Aratamesho” and it continued its operations even after the closing of the office. The Maritime Police Station, which was constructed in 1926, remains to date The Maritime Police Station was renamed “Nishi Police Station” in 1952 and was relocated in 1984.

CITY OF HAKODATE