彰義隊の墓

幕末に新政府軍と対峙した彰義隊。上野戦争において、この地に壊滅した。

彰義隊の墓

2011年5月14日撮影。

墓域内に設置された説明板の内容は以下のとおり。

彰義隊の墓

15代将軍徳川慶喜の一橋藩主時代の側近家来であった小川興郷らは、慶応4年(1868年)、大政奉還をして上野寛永寺に蟄居した慶喜の助命嘆願のために同志をつのった。そこには徳川政権を支持する各藩士をはじめ、新政府への不満武士、変革期に世に出ようとする人々が集まり、「彰義隊」と名乗り、やがて上野の山を拠点として新政府軍と対峙した。旧暦5月15日の上野戦争は、武力に勝る新政府軍が半日で彰義隊を壊滅させた。

生き残った小川ら隊士は、明治7年(1874年)にようやく新政府の許可を得て、激戦地であり隊士の遺体の火葬場となった当地に彰義隊戦死の墓を建立した。なお、遺骨の一部は南千住円通寺内に合葬されている。以後、120年余りに渡り、小川一族によって墓所が守られてきた。現在、歴史的記念碑としてその管理は東京都に移されている。

Grave-yard of Shogi-tai soldiers in the Ueno War

There was a war called the Ueno War around here in May 15, 1868. It delimited Edo era and Meiji Restoration. In this war, a soldier group of Tokugawa persons’ (old government) named Shogi-tai fought fought against the army of the new government and was defeated.

Okisato Ogawa and his comrades, who were the survivors of Shogi-tai, obtained the permission of Meiji government at last in 1874 and built the grave-yard of killed soldiers. Afterwards, the grave-yard of Shogi-tai was preserved by the Ogawa clan for over 120 years, and succeeded by Tokyo Metropolitan government in 2003. We learn the history of the Ueno War thanks to such an effort now.

彰義隊の墓

2011年5月14日撮影。

台東区設置の説明板の内容は以下のとおり。

彰義隊の墓(台東区有形文化財)

台東区上野公園1番

江戸幕府15代将軍徳川慶喜は大政奉還の後、鳥羽伏見の戦いに敗れて江戸へ戻った。東征軍(官軍)や公家の間では、徳川家の処分が議論されたが、慶喜の一橋家時代の側近達は慶喜の助命を求め、慶応4年(1868)2月に同盟を結成、のちに彰義隊と称し、慶喜の水戸退隠後も徳川家霊廟の警護などを目的として上野山(東叡山寛永寺)にたてこもった。

慶応4年5月15日朝、大村益次郎指揮の東征軍は上野を総攻撃、彰義隊は同夕刻敗走した。いわゆる上野戦争である。彰義隊士の遺体は上野山内に放置されたが、南千住円通寺の住職仏磨らによって当地で荼毘に付された。

正面の小墓石は、明治2年(1869)寛永寺子院の寒松院と護国院の住職が密かに付近の地中に埋納したものだが、後に掘り出された。大墓石は、明治14年(1881)12月に元彰義隊小川興郷(椙太)らによって造立。彰義隊は明治政府にとって賊軍であるため、政府をはばかって彰義隊の文字はないが、旧幕臣山岡鉄舟の筆になる「戦死之墓」の字を大きく刻む。

平成2年に台東区有形文化財として区民文化財台帳に登載された。

平成8年3月

台東区教育委員会

TOMB SITE OF SHOGI-TAI SOLDIERS

Shogi-tai was an army of the Edo shogunate, which was organized in 1868 to fight against the Emperor at the end of The Edo era. They fought around here on fifteenth of May in the same year. In those days Ueno-no-yama (Ueno hill) was in the precincts of Kan-eiji temple (Tokugawa shogunate’s family temple), where there were many temples and pagodas. But the battle was so intense that almost all of them were destroyed. The Shogi-tai was defeated by the evening of the day. The fight is called Ueno war or fight of Shogi-tai.

These two tombstones were erected for the Shogi-tai soldiers killed here. The small tomb stone in the front was erected by a priest of Kan-eiji temple in 1869 and the large stone in the back by a survivor, a soldier called Ogawa Okisato and several of his comrades.

These tombstones were registered ad important cultural assets in 1990 in the Book of Cultural Assets of Taito City.

彰義隊の墓

2011年5月14日撮影。記載の内容は以下のとおり。戦時の状況を忠実に表しているとのこと。

彰義隊奮戦之図

小川興郷が画家に指示して描かせたもので、他に存在する錦絵と違って、史実に忠実な絵と伝えられている。

Figure on brave fighting of Shogi-tai against the soldiers of new government in Ueno War.

It is said that because this picture was drawn according to the instruction of Okisato Ogawa who was one of the survivors of Ueno War, it is a faichful picture to the historical fact unlike other color prints.