有無両縁塔

地蔵寺の入り口に建てられている有無両縁塔は、元治元(1864年)に、遊郭の経営者たちが引き取り手のない遊女などを供養するために合同で建立したものです。

有無両縁塔

有無両縁塔

有無両縁塔

有無両縁塔

  • 2018年10月8日撮影。

説明板

有無両縁塔

有無両縁塔
この「有無両縁塔」は、元治元(1864年)に、当時の遊郭の経営者たちが、引き取り手のない遊女などを供養するために、合同で建立した供養塔である。
かつて山ノ上町と呼ばれた界隈(現在の船見町周辺)には、多くの遊女屋があって賑わっていたが、箱館奉行が安政5(1868)年に、その一画を山ノ上遊郭として公認してからは、整備も進んでいった。さらに、翌年の開港に伴い、日本各地の商人や外国人の往来が盛んになり、遊郭も一層の賑わいをみせるようになった。
この碑は、開港という新しい時代の陰に、遊郭で働き、ここで生涯を終えざるを得なかった女性たちがいた事実を残すもので、台石には建立者たちの名が刻まれている。
函館市

MONUMENT OF UMU RYOENTO
This monument called “Umu Ryoento” was erected in 1864 in repose of abandoned women who worked in the “red light” districts. Funds for this monument were donated by those who managed prostitute houses.
In days gone by in a town called Yamanoue-cho (a neighboring area, now named Funami-cho), there was a lively red-light district. After the Hakodate magistrate granted a license and named this area the Yamanoue prostitute quarters in 1868 (Ansei 5), those houses renewed their quarters for the promotion of business.
Moreover, Hakodate port’s opening to foreign trade in 1869, brought visitors from every land and these quarters did a thriving business.
This monument reminds us of the fact that in the shadows of the port opening’s new age there existed women who had no choice but to work and end their lives here as prostitutes. The names of the donators are engraved on the pedestal.
CITY OF HAKODATE

場所

参考