函館市一覧

南部藩士の墓地

函館市船見町の外国人墓地を少し進むと南部藩士の墓地に遭遇する。幕府による蝦夷地直轄時代、その警備にあたったのが南部藩を含む東北の諸藩だった。函館で命を落とした南部藩士の墓である。

 南部藩士の墓地

 2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

 

南部藩士の墓地

寛政11(1799)年幕府は東蝦夷地を直轄地(5年後には西蝦夷地も)としてその経営に乗り出し、蝦夷地の警備を南部・津軽の両藩に命じた。

両藩はそれぞれ500名ほどの藩士を派遣して警備に当たることとなった。南部藩は元陣屋を箱館に置き根室、国後、択捉に勤番所を設け、その任に就いた。その後、文政4(1821)年に蝦夷地は松前藩に返還されたため、両藩士たちはそれぞれ帰藩したが、安政元(1854)年に再び蝦夷地が幕府の直轄地となると、再び東北の諸藩に蝦夷地の警備と開拓が命じられた。南部藩は箱館から幌別(現登別市)までを担当、600余名が勤務していた。

しかし、幕府が倒され明治新政府が誕生すると、箱館に箱館府が置かれて蝦夷地の経営を担当することとなり、東北諸藩の蝦夷地詰の人々は帰藩していった。

この間、多くの南部藩士が事故や病気で異郷の地に倒れた。函館で弔われた人については明治39(1906)年から盛岡出身の有志で慰霊を続けてきたが、墓石や碑が散在し荒廃していくのを憂い、昭和12年にこの地に集めたものである。

現在、この墓地には、12名の藩士の墓が祀られている。

函館市

THE CEMETERY OF NANBU HANSHI

The Tokugawa shogunate began its direct rule of the eastern part of Ezo ( now Hokkaido ) in 1799 and then expanded this area to include the western part 5 years later. It ordered two clans, the Nanbu clan ( now Iwate Prefecture ) and the Tsugaru clan ( now Aomori Prefecture ) to guard Ezo. Each clan dispatched 500 samurais to Ezo to fulfill this duty. The Nanbu clan located its headquarters in Hakodate and set up its branch offices in Nemuro, Kunashiri and Etorofu. Later on, those samurais went back to their hometowns because Ezo was returned to the Matsumae clan by the shogunate in 1821. The shogunate, however, ruled Ezo again in 1854 and re-ordered some clans in the Tohoku area to protect and develop Ezo. More than 600 Nanbu samurais performed their duties and were in charge of the area from Hakodate to Horobetsu ( now Noboribetsu ).

After the shogunate was overthrown and the Meiji regime was establishied, the new government designated Hakodate as the capital of Ezo and the samurais staying in Ezo returned home.

While performing their duties away from their homes, many Nanbu samurais were killed or died of sickness. A group of concerned citizens from Morioka city in Iwate Prefecture have begun activities to console those samurais who died in Hakodate since 1906. Seeing the ruined gravestones scattered around Hakodate, the people gathered them together in this cemetery in 1937. Now 12 Nanbu samurai tombs can be found here.

CITY OF HAKODATE

 

場所:GoogleMap


天下の号外屋翁の墓

 山背泊墓地にある真っ赤な墓。信濃助治という人物の墓である。この人物、全身真っ赤な出で立ちで、自ら「天下の号外屋」を名乗り活動するなど、かなりの変わり者だったようだ。

天下の号外屋翁の墓

2012年6月16日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

 

天下の号外屋翁の墓

信濃助治は、明治27年(1894)年6月、衣類・コート・帽子・足袋のはてまで赤ずくめで来函した。
同年11月、日清戦争の頃、彼は北海新聞の号外を函館市民にまいて”天下の号外屋”と称して売り出し、「赤服」と呼ばれていた。
「赤心」(いつわりの無い心)は日本武道の精髄を表すとして、すべて赤色を用いたとのことである。
日清戦争終結後は、戦勝記念に名将軍を全国に訪ねて書を頼むなど、奇行の多い人だったので、当時の地元の新聞にも奇人として紹介されている。

函館市

THE GRAVE OF AN EXTRA EDITION NEWSPAPER DISTRIBUTOR

In June 1894 (Meiji 27) Shinano Sukeji came to Hakodate. He dressed in red from hat to “tabi” socks.
One day in November of the same year, during the Sino-Japanese War (1894-5) Sukeji distributed Hokkai Newspaper’s extra edition news to the citizen on the street and thus made a name for himself as “An extra edition newspaper distributor.” Eventually, he was called “Akafuku” , or “Mr. Red Clothes.”
The reason he dressed in red was because in Bushido, the spirit of samurai, the Chinese character “Sekishin.” or “red heart” represented “sincerity.”
After the Sino-Japanese War, old Sukeji made great effort to visit well-known generals and admirals in every corner of the country to ask for their writings and signatures in celebration of this victory.
He became well known for his eccentric habits, and the local newspaper introduced him as a man of unusual character.

CITY OF HAKODATE


堀川乗経とジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻の墓

函館の発展に大いに貢献した堀川乗経。長女トネは地震学者ジョン・ミルンに嫁いだ。

堀川乗経とジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻は、函館山の麓に静かに眠っている。

堀川乗経、ジョン・ミルン・トネ夫妻

 堀川乗経、ジョン・ミルン・トネ夫妻

 2012年6月16日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

 

堀川乗経

堀川乗経は、陸奥国(青森県)下北郡川内村の浄土真宗本願寺派願乗寺住職の次男で、初め法恵と称し、天保12年(1841年)に蝦夷地(北海道)に来て、その事情を見て歩きました。

蝦夷地に同派の寺がないことを知った法恵は、安政2年(1855年)本山の許可を得た後、同4年(1857年)に小樽に願乗寺出張所を、また箱館の地蔵町(現東川町)に願乗寺休泊所を創設しました。

これが現在の浄土真宗本願寺派函館別院です。

法恵は、安政6年(1859年)北陸地方の農民を清水郷(現上磯町)に入植開墾させました。また同年、水利の便が悪い箱館市中に堀割を開削して亀田川の水を引き、飲料水として給水しました。この堀割は全長2900m、橋を8箇所設け、工事費7300余両を費やした大事業で、願乗寺川あるいは堀川と呼ばれ、市街地が東部へ発展する要因となりました。なお、明治22年(1889年)上水道が完成したとき、堀割は埋め立てられました。

Jokyo Horikawa

Jokyo Horikawa, previously named Houkei, was the second son of a chief priest of Ganjoji Temple. Ganjoji Temple was a branch of Honganji Temple of the Jodo-shin sect at Kawauchimura in Mutsu (now Aomori Prefecture).

Houkei came to Ezo (now Hokkaido) in 1841 for the first time to study the religious situation in the district. Upon finding out that there weren’t any temples of the Honganji sub-sect in Ezo, he built a branch in Otaru after being given permission in 1857. He also built a place for people to rest and sleep at Jizou-cho (now Higashikawa-cho) in Hakodate. This place is now called Hakodate Betsuin (branch) of Honganji Temple of the Jodo-shin sect.

In 1859 Houkei let farmers in Hokuriku District settle in Shimizu-gou (now Kamiiso-cho) to cultivate new land. In the same year, he let them dig a canal, supplying drinking water from the Kameda River, and supplemented the insufficient water supply in Hakodate. The canal, called the Ganjoji River or the Horikawa River, was 2,900 meters long and was crossed with 8 bridges. It was a large-scale construction project, costing over 7,300 ryo, which resulted in the urban area expanding eastwards. When a new water supply system was completed in 1889, the canal was filled in.

ジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻

イギリス人ジョン・ミルンは、工部省の招きで明治9年(1876年)に来日し、工部大学校や東京帝国大学で鉱山学、地質学を教えました。また、日本の地震に興味をもち、地震計を考案して日本全国を観測し、明治13年(1880年)日本地震学会を創設するなど、わが国の地震学の創設者の一人であり、近代地震学のもとを築きました。

ミルンは、明治10年(1877年)に地質調査のために来函し、翌年も先住民族の貝塚などを調査するため函館を訪れています。明治14年(1881年)東京で堀川乗経の長女トネを知って結婚し、明治28年(1895年)トネを伴ってイギリスに帰国しました。大正2年(1913年)ミルンの死去後、トネは病身となり大正8年(1919年)函館に帰り、大正14年(1925年)世を去りました。

この墓地には、堀川乗経とジョン・ミルン、トネ夫妻の墓があります。

函館市

John and Tone Milne

In 1876 an English man named John Milne was invited to Japan by the Engineering Ministry to teach mining engineering and geology at Kobu University and Tokyo Teikoku University. Becoming interested in the study of earthquakes in Japan, he invented a seismometer and made seismological observations all over Japan. He is now known as one of the fornders of seismology in Japan, and helped establish the Seismological Society of Japan in 1880.

In 1877 he came to Hakodate to conduct geological research. The following year he returned to Hakodate to survey the shell mounds of an ancient indigenous settlement. In 1881 he married Tone, the eldest daughter of Jokyo Horikawa, in Tokyo and in 1895 he returned to England with her.

After his death in 1913, Tone’s health deteriorated and she returned to Hakodate, where she lived until she passed away in 1919.

The tombstones for Mr. and Mrs. Milne and Jokyo Horikawa are here in this graveyard.

CITY OF HAKODATE

 

地図:GoogleMap


函館検疫所台町措置場(旧函館消毒所)跡

外国人墓地を抜けた先にある函館検疫所事務所。

函館、横浜、神戸、下関、長崎、新潟、これら主要な6つの港に、日本初の消毒所が建設され、函館はこの場所に建てられていたとのこと。今残る建物は事務所として使用されていたもの。

函館検疫所台町措置場(旧函館消毒所)跡

函館検疫所台町措置場(旧函館消毒所)跡

函館検疫所台町措置場(旧函館消毒所)跡  

写真は2012年4月22日撮影。函館市設置の観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

 

函館検疫所台町措置場(旧函館消毒所)跡

明治18年(1885年)、内務省は防疫体制の強化を図るため、当時の主要6港(函館、横浜、神戸、下関、長崎、新潟)に日本で最初の常設消毒所を建設しました。函館では現在地に施設が建てられ、唯一残ったこの建物は事務所として使用されたものです。

明治29年(1896年)3月、函館検疫所と改称され業務をおこなってきましたが、特に昭和20年(1945年)には、敗戦により樺太方面などからの引揚者の検疫にあたり、医療や援護にと活躍しました。

昭和43年(1968年)、検疫所は市内海岸町に落成した港湾合同庁舎内に移転し、平成4年にこの施設も廃止されました。

施設の中で唯一残ったこの事務所は、全国的にも数少ない初期港湾施設の遺構として、平成元年に市の景観形成指定建築物となっています。

函館市

THE HAKODATE QUARANTINE OFFICE IN DAI-MACHI (FORMER HAKODATE DISINFECTIONS OFFICE)

In order to strengthen the epidemic preventative measures, in 1885, the Interior Ministry established disinfections facilities in the following major trading ports; Hakodate, Niigata, Yokohama, Kobe, Shimonoseki and Nagasaki. This is where the facility was built in Hakodate. The only remaining building on the site was used as its main office.

It was renamed as the Hakodate Quarantine Office in March of 1896. Especially during the period following the end of the Second World War in 1945, it played an important role in the medical treatment and support of repatriates to Japan from Sakhalin.

The Hakodate Quarantine Office was annexed to the Joint Government Port Building in Kaigan-cho in 1968, and the facility here was demised altogether in 1992.

The building was designnated as a historical building by the City of Hakodate in 1989 and represents as one of the few remnants of early port facility architecture in Japan.

CITY OF HAKODATE

 


四稜郭

五稜郭と比較して知名度はかなり低い四稜郭。五稜郭同様箱館戦争の舞台となった場所。2008年訪問。

 

四稜郭

2008年6月15日撮影。なかなか場所もわかりにくいが、この標識が目印。

 

四稜郭

2008年6月15日撮影。駐車場。

 

四稜郭

2008年6月15日撮影。土塁。

 

四稜郭

2008年6月15日撮影。説明板の内容は以下のとおり。

 

史跡 四稜郭

昭和9年1月22日史跡指定

明治2年(1869)春、五稜郭にたてこもる旧幕府脱走軍は新政府軍の攻撃に備えて各地に防御陣地を築いたが、五稜郭の背後を固めるため、その北方約3キロの緩斜面台地にも洋式の台場を急造した。

これが四稜郭である。

四稜郭は、蝶が羽を広げたような形の稜堡で、周囲に土塁と空壕をめぐらし、郭内(面積約2,300平方メートル)には、四隅に砲座を設けたが、建物は造らなかった。

なお、地元の言い伝えによると、旧幕府脱走軍は士卒約200名と付近の村民(赤川・神山・鍛冶村)約100名を動員して、昼夜兼行で数日のうちにこの四稜郭を完成させたといわれている。

明治2年5月11日、新政府軍は箱館総攻撃を開始した。

同日未明、新政府軍の岡山藩・徳山藩の藩兵は赤川村を出発し、四稜郭の攻撃を開始した。松岡四郎次郎率いる旧幕府脱走軍は四稜郭の防御に努めたが、新政府軍には福山藩兵も加わり、さらに長州藩兵が四稜郭と五稜郭の間に位置する権現台場を占領したため、退路を断たれることを恐れた旧幕府脱走軍は五稜郭へと敗走した。

5月18日には、五稜郭が開城され、榎本武揚以下が降伏して箱館戦争は終わった。

函館市

文部省

 

四稜郭

2008年6月15日撮影。四稜郭の柱碑。

 

四稜郭

2008年6月15日撮影。四稜郭内部からの土塁。

 

四稜郭

2008年6月15日撮影。

 

函館市教育委員会による保存に係る注意説明は以下のとおり。

 

史跡四稜郭の保存について

旧幕府脱走軍の降伏という形で箱館戦争が終結した後、四稜郭はかなり荒廃がすすんでいました。しかし、昭和9年に史跡に指定されて以来、地元の人たちをはじめ、市民の手厚い保護を受けて、今日までその原形を保つことができました。

函館市では、この史跡保存に万全を期すため、昭和44年度から47年度にかけて、国・道の補助を受け、土塁の修復等の環境整備工事を実施したところですが、さらに平成2年度において、あずまや等の施設を設置し、この史跡を歴史学習や市民の憩いの場として、広く利用していただけるよう整備いたしました。

この貴重な国民的財産である史跡を私たちの手で保存し、後世に伝え残していくために、次のことを守ってください。

一、土塁等に登らないこと

一、木の枝を折ったり、芝生をいためたりしないこと

一、自転車、バイク、自動車等を乗り入れないこと

一、火気を使用しないこと

一、ゴミは捨てないで持ち帰ること

函館市教育委員会

 


スポンサーリンク