函館市一覧

函館博物館

函館公園の裏の方に博物館への入口がある。普段私は函館公園正面側からアクセスしているが、たまにはこちらから入ってみるのも面白い。ちょうど現博物館建物の真横を通って正面にまわるような格好となる。

入口右手には、明治7年にこの場所で旧秋田藩士によって斬殺されたドイツ代弁領事ルードヴィッヒ・ハーバー遭難記念碑が建てられている。

2012年8月18日訪問。函館市設置観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

函館博物館のあゆみ

函館の博物館の歴史は、明治12(1879)年lこ開拓使函館支庁仮博物場として開場したのが始まりである。

これは、開拓使顧問であるアメリ力人ホーレス・ケプロンが北海道の開拓政策推進のために博物館・図書館の設立を提言したことによるものであった。公園内lこある旧函館博物館の建物は、現存する地方博物館として日本で最も古く、昭和38(1963)年lこ北海道有形文化財に指定されている。

現在の市立函館博物館は、昭和41(1966)年に総合博物館として開館し、創立時の資料も継承して現在に至っている。

函館市

HISTORY OF THE HAKODATE MUSEUM

Hakodate Museum was officially founded in 1879. Initially it was a provisional museum of the Hokkaido Development Agency’s Hakodate branch.

Capron Horase, an American development adviser stated that the construction of a museum and a library was neccessary in order to enhance the development policy of Hokkaido.

The original building still standing in Hakodate Park is one of the oldest local museums existing in Japan and it was designated as a Hokkaido tangible cultual asset in 1963.

The present Hakodate Museum, which began as a general museum in 1966, has exhibited many materials including historical ones inherited from the original museum’s collection.

CITY OF HAKODATE


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


箱館通寶銭座跡の碑

函館公園の博物館寄りの入口付近にひっそりと立っている「箱館通寶 銭座跡」の碑。

安政年間、本州との物流が活発化することにより、和人地(箱館、松前、江差)では銭不足が生じる。これに迅速に対応するため、幕府から箱館通寶鋳造が許可されたとのこと。

 

2012年8月18日訪問。碑の隣に設置されている函館古銭会による説明は以下の通り。

安政3年(1856年)幕府は、えぞ地(北海道)に限り通用として銭の鋳造を認め、当地尻澤辺村字谷地頭といわれた。

この地に北海道唯一の銭座を建てた。

銭文は箱館通寶、円孔の鉄の銭であった。

安政4年(1857年)4月より同5年11月までの鋳造高は10万650貫文という。

昭和52年10月 函館古銭会


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


廣河ヌードルのつけ麺

つけ麺と言えば、どろっとした濃厚スープ(タレ?)に、ごろっとした麺をイメージされる方が多いのだろうが、私にとってのつけ麺とは、ここ廣河ヌードルのつけ麺であり、食欲をそそる「酸味」の効いたスープに大盛りの中麺をくぐらせて頂くというもの。

麺を大盛りにするか、普通盛りでライスをつけるか悩ましいところ。この酸味系スープに使っているチャーシューは、米を激しく要求してくるのである。

この日は廣河ヌードルたくまにて頂いたが、昭和店でも同じ味を楽しむことが可能。

2012年8月12日訪問。

廣河ヌードルたくま
北海道函館市石川町348-12
TEL 0138-47-6022


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


函館中華山荘

函館中華山荘は、ロシア人墓地を高龍寺方向にほんの数歩進み、左の小道に入った奥にある。なかなかわかりにくい場所だが、赤茶色のレンガ塀が目印。

 

この細い道を下って左折。

2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

函館中華山荘

函館には、幕末から中国人が住み始めており、大半は海産物の貿易に携わっていた。この墓地は、明治9年(1876年)に、青森県下に漂着した中国人の遺体を埋葬するために、開拓使から土地を借りたことに始まる。当初の面積は、184坪(607㎡)しかなかったが、大正8年(1919年)に隣接の土地を買収し、466坪(1,538㎡)となった。この時に、周りをレンガ塀で囲み、現在のような体裁となった。

墓地内には、総檜造り瓦屋根の祠堂や「中華義塚」と彫られた石碑、炉跡のほかに、知られているだけでも9基の石碑と4基の木碑がある。

この墓地は代々の華僑団体が管理を行っており、毎年、清明節(春分後15日目)と中元節(旧盆)には、祭祀が営まれ、紙銭を焚いて墓祭を行い、先人の冥福が祈られている。

函館市

The Chinese Graveyard

There have been Chinese people living in Hakodate since the end of the Edo period, most of them being engaged in trade of marine products.

This graveyard dates from 1876 when six Chinese rented the land from the local development office in order to lay the remains of those Chinese who drifted in from Aomori Prefecture. It was only 607 square meters in area at the beginning. Through the purchase of neighboring land in 1919, the graveyard was extended to 1,538 square meters and also enclosed by a brick wall, giving it its present appearance.

In the graveyard, there are several monuments including a tiled roof shrine made of Japanese cypress and a stone monument for those who had no one to grieve for them ( called Chinese Gicho ).

The graveyard has been managed by Chinese residents of the area for generations. Every year in April and August, they hold a ceremony, in which they burn paper money, to pray for the souls of their ancestors.

THE CITY OF HAKOOATE 


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


外国人墓地(ロシア人墓地)

1859年、ロシア軍艦アスコリド号乗組員を葬った墓が最古のものとされるロシア人墓地。函館とロシアとの関係の深さを物語る場所である。

2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

外国人墓地(ロシア人墓地)

ここが、ロシア人墓地として公式に認められたのは、明治3年(1870)のことで、当時の開拓使函館支庁と在函5ヶ国領事との間で外国人墓地に関する協定が締結されました。

最も古い墓は、1859年6月29日(露暦)のアスコリド号の航海士ゲオルギィ・ボウリケヴィチのものです。

現在この墓地には、ロシア軍艦の乗組員25名や白系ロシア人7名など全部で43基の墓があります。その中には、初代領事ゴシケーヴィチ夫人や領事館付属聖堂の読経者で、のちに魯学校の教師として活躍したヴィサリオン・サルトフも葬られています。

故国はるかなる異郷に倒れたロシア人も、この墓地で安らかに眠り続けるでしょう。

函館市

RUSSIAN CEMETERY

In 1870, this cemetery was officially recognized as a Russian cemetery.

At present, there are 43 greves including those of 25 Russian warship crewmembers.

Mrs. Goshkevich, wife of the first Russian consul in Hakodate, and Vissarion Sartov, a chanter at the church attached to the consulate and later a teacher at the National School in Hakodate, are also buried here.

Many Russians who have passed away in Hakodate now find their final resting place in this cemetery.

City of Hakodate


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


プロテスタント墓地

函館湾を眼下にする丘上に位置している外国人墓地。今では函館の有名な観光スポットのひとつ。この場所は、早くから函館が開かれた港であったことを物語っている。

2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

外国人墓地(プロテスタント墓地)

誰いうとなくこの墓地を外国人墓地と呼んでいますが、必ずしも外国人ばかりでなくキリスト教徒である日本人の墓も混じっています。

しかし、当時函館で他界した外国人は、ほとんどこの墓地に埋葬されていることから、外国人墓地の名ができたのでしょう。

古くは、安政元年(1854)4月ペリーが艦隊を率いて来航したとき死亡した水兵ウオルフ(50才)、レミック(19才)の墓をはじめ、ドイツ代理領事ハーバー、デンマーク領事デュース、函館で倉庫業を営んでいたイギリス人スコットの墓など40基あります。

函館市

CEMETERY FOR FOREIGNERS

Almost all foreigners who died in Hakodate were buried in this CEMETERY.

Although some Christian Japanese Citizens were also entombed here.

When Admiral Matthew C. Perry, Commander of the American Fleet. entered Hakodate in April. 1854;two crewmen, Wolfe ( 50 years ) and Remick (19 years ) were buried here. Also included in the 40 graves are the Denmark Consul Duus, the German Vice-Consul Haber, and an Engllsh warehouse manager Scott.

City of Hakodate

海側から見上げた墓地。正面に地蔵寺、その後ろに函館山が並ぶ。函館中華山荘の横からは、外国人墓地を見上げるようにして見ることができる。

こちら側に設置されている函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

外国人墓地

山背泊といわれたこの地区は、開国後、函館寄港中に死亡した船員や在住外国人を葬る墓地として使われはじめました。

古くは安政元年(1854年)に没したアメリ力・ペリー艦隊の水兵や翌年にはイギリス艦隊の水兵の墓碑が置かれたほか、当時日本との国交はなかったものの多数の病人発生により急きょ入港したフランス艦隊の水兵がこの地で葬られたとの記録も残されています。

明治3年(1870年)には新たに力トリック墓地の設置について要望があり、開妬使は、改めて外国人専用の墓地として従来の英国(プロテスタント墓地)、ロシア(ロシア人墓地)に加え、フランスに力トリック墓地(現シャルトル聖パウ口修道女会墓地)を貸付け、明治9年(1876年)には、中国人墓地(現函館中華山荘)が加わり現在の外国人墓地が形づくられました。

函館市

CEMETERY FOR FOREIGNERS

This area, which used to be called Yamasedomari, was the original cemetery for sailors who died during their port call at Hakodate, and for foreign residents of Hakodate.

Gravestones for late sailors of Perry’s fleet and the first British fleet were placed here back in 1854 and 1855 respectively. In additlon, according to some records, French sailors who died of illness were buried here after the ship had to be rushed into port at Hakodate despite no diplomatlc relations with Japan at the time.

By the year 1870, Britain and Russia already had their own cemeteries here. Following a new demand for Catholic cemeteries, Hokkaido settlers decided to lend France a part of the area as a Catholic cemetery. It is currently a cemetery for the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres.

In 1876 the cemetery for Chinese people, now called the Chinese Graveyard, became part of the larger Foreign Cemetery.

City of Hakodate 


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


ジンギスカン 松羊亭

函館を代表するジンギスカン店、松羊亭。食べ放題(飲み放題別)1,450円という安さから、宴会のみならず家族連れにも人気。オリジナルのタレが丸ラム肉とよく絡み、食べ過ぎること間違いなし。

四角い鉄板がポイント。

ラードを引いてから、野菜を焼きつつ肉で蓋をする。

ジンギスカン松羊店 函館市松蔭町18-35
電話:0138-55-2989


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


有無両縁塔

外国人墓地の手前、地蔵寺境内入口付近にある有無両縁塔。現在の函館市船見町周辺に多くの遊廓があったことはよく知られている。この塔は、遊廓で働いていていた身寄りのない遊女たちを供養するため元治元(1864年)年に建てられたものである。

この塔を建てた人すなわち施主人として廓内遊女屋経営者の名が刻まれている。

2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

有無両縁塔

この「有無両縁塔」は、元治元(1864) 年lこ、当時の遊廓の経営者たちが、引き取り手のない遊女などを供養するために、合同で建立した供養塔である。

かつて山ノ上町と呼ばれた界隈(現在の船見町周辺)には、多くの遊女屋があって賑わっていたが、箱館奉行が安政5(1868) 年lこ、その一画を山ノ上遊廓として公認してからは、整備も進んでいった。さらに、翌年の開港|こ伴い、日本各地の商人や外国人の往来が盛んになり、遊廓も一層の賑わいをみせるようになった。

この碑は、開港という新しい時代の陰に、遊廓で働き、ここで生涯を終えざるを得なかった女性たちがいた事実を残すもので、台石には建立者たちの名が刻まれている。

函館市

MONUMENT OF UMU RYOENTO

This monument called “Umu Ryoento” was erected in 1864 in repose of abandoned women who worked in the “red light” districts. Funds for this monument were donated by those who managed prostitute houses.

In days gone by in a town called Yamanoue-cho (a neighboring area, now named Funami-cho), there was a lively red-light district. After the Hakodate magistrate granted a license and named this area the Yamanoue prostitute quarters in 1868 (Ansei 5), those houses renewed their quarters for the promotion of business.

Moreover, Hakodate port’s opening to foreign trade in 1869, brought visitors from every land and these quarters did a thriving business.

This monument reminds us of the fact that in the shadows of the port opening’s new age there existed women who had no choice but to work and end their lives here as prostitutes. The names of the donators are engraved on the pedestal.

CITY OF HAKODATE

 


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


日本最古のコンクリート電柱

マンションの手前に立つ四角いコンクリート電柱。一見して特段印象的なものには思えない。 

電柱横にある解説を読むと、この電柱は大正12年製であり現存する国内最古のコンクリート電柱であるとのこと。

言われてみると確かに古さを感じさせるデザイン。四角い形もこれ以外にはあまり見覚えがない。

単なる電柱に非ず、しっかりとした観光資源の一つである。実際、多くの観光に訪れたと思しき人が、この電柱前で足を止めている。

2012年7月8日訪問。函館市設置観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

日本最古のコンクリート電柱

この電柱は、大正12年(1923年)10月、当時の函館水電会社(現北海道電力)が建てたもので、現存するコンクリート電柱では日本最古のものである。

高さ10メートルのこの電柱は、現場打ち工法で、底辺が47センチメートル四方、上辺が19.5センチメートル四方の鉄筋コンクリート造りで角錐形という珍しいものである。

火災が頻繁に発生した当時の函館では、この頃から耐火建築が増えはじめたが、この電柱もそのあらわれである。

後に、同形の電柱が建物をはさんで建てられたため「夫婦電柱」と呼ばれて市民の話題となった。木柱が普通であった当時から今日まで、耐用年数を越えてもなお現役として街の移り変わりを見守っている。

函館市

THE FIRST CONCRETE ELECTRICITY POLE IN JAPAN

This concrete pole was set by Hokkaido electric power company and is the oldest one in Japan.

The pole is a pyramid style structure made of prestressed concrete. This pole is 10 meters high, 47 square centimeters at the base and 19.5 square centimeters at the top.

Because of the increase of fires in Hakodate, fireproof structures increased. This is one of them.

Another concrete electricity pole was placed across the building from the first, people began to call them a “couple pole”, which became the topic of conversation among the people.

This has been standing long use since the days when wooden electricity poles were generally used unstead of concrete ones.

The City of Hakodate


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示


万平塚

 万平という人物、明治から大正にかけて函館に住んでいた男とのことだが、詳細は不明なところが多い。ただ、当時の新聞にも「名物男」などと書かれていることから、名の知れた人物ではあったのだろう。

本名は矢野万平、石川啄木とも親交があったというから、やはりただ者ではない。

2012年6月24日訪問。函館市観光標識の内容は次のとおり。

万平塚

石川啄木の歌に、「むやむやと 口の中にてたふとげの事を咳く 乞食もありき」というのがあるが、この乞食こそ明治から大正にかけて函館の名物男で名を万平といった。

ユーモアがあり、人から恵んでもらわない気骨のある乞食で、毎朝ゴミ箱を探し歩き、その家の人物評を日記風に書き残した。

一例を上げると「11月1日(明治39年)今朝好天気なれば先以て山田邦彦君(函館区長)の芥箱を探しにゆく。流石に山田君の夫人は、文明の空気を吸われつつあり、豚の脂身一塊、大根の皮と共に捨てられたるは、西洋料理の稽古最中と覚ゆ・・・」などとある。

この塚は、大阪から所用で来た鉄工場主「藤岡惣兵衛」が、万平にタバコの火を借りようとした際「帽子も取らずに」となじられたが、その人柄に感じ入り、大正4(1915)年万平の死後、供養塔として函館の知人の協力を得て建てたものである。

函館市

MANPEI’S GRAVE

Ishikawa Takuboku, a famous poet, once wrote a poem about a beggar walking around, muttering something precious and virtuous to himself. The beggar named Manpei was a popular figure who lived in Hakodate during the Meiji and early Taisho years.

He was a man of great spirit, and a good sense of humor, and he was never known to ask others for aims. Every morning he searched through garbage cans for food and wrote a simple description of each household he visited like a diary.

For instance, “November 1, 1906. Fine. First I went to rummage through the garbage can of Yamada Kunihiko (Mayor of Hakodate). Mr. Yamada’s wife, living a most civilized life, is as can be expected. Finding a piece of pork fat with some radish peelings in the garbage, I suppose she is now learning Western cooking…”

When Fujioka Sobei, who was an iron master in Osaka, came to Hakodate on business, he asked Manpei to light his cigarette. He was rebuked for his impoliteness to have asked “Without taking off his hat” by Manpei.

Fujioka was so deeply impressed by Manpei’s character that after Manpei died in 1915 Fujioka built a grave stone for the repose of Manpei’s soul with the help of his friends in Hakodate.

CITY OF HAKODATE

  


より大きな地図で Donan.info を表示